The recent murders in Atlanta and attacks in Oakland and San Francisco have brought to national attention to what, unfortunately, is not news to many: bigotry, misogyny, and racialized violence in our country and our community are surging and Asian and Pacific Islander Americans are frequently the targets of hate crimes and acts of terror.
We wish to extend a message of solidarity to all in our communities who are of Asian and Pacific Islander descent: We see you; we value you, and we stand with you.
As a practice that is committed to anti-racist policies, we acknowledge the continuous work that we need to do to educate ourselves and act, individually and collectively, by participating in and supporting organizations that are working to raise awareness and advance antiracist policies. As Ibram X Kendi, so clearly articulates, “To be anti-racist is to view national and transnational ethnic groups as equal in all their differences. To be antiracist is to challenge the racist policies that plague racialized ethnic groups across the world. To be antiracist is to view the inequities between all racialized ethnic groups as a problem of policy.”
To start, our firm will be taking the following actions to support the Asian American Pacific Islander Community:
- Donating $500 to the AAPI Community Fund
- Coordinating an all-firm Bystander Intervention/Anti-Racism workshop
How to Get Involved:
- Support the families of the victims of violence in Georgia here.
- Consider donating to the AAPI Community Fund
- Learn more about actions you can take to Stop AAPI Hate
- Comprehensive APALA’s Resource Guide on Anti-Asian Violence
- Attend a free, 1-hour, online Bystander Intervention to Stop Anti-Asian/American and Xenophobic Harassment workshop presented by Hollaback! and Asian Americans Advancing Justice (AAAJ).
- Read and/or have your organization sign on to this statement from Red Canary Song, a grassroots collective of Asian and migrant sex workers, calling for protection and rights for Asian massage workers and not an increase in policing in Asian communities. You can also support this visionary organizing here.